I have written about oVertone Hair Dye before, but I had to do it again. Last time I dyed my dark brown hair purple using oVertone after Arctic Fox completely failed me and I was amazed. It was impressive that there was actual purple color on my dark hair. But I couldn’t help feel jealous of the blondes and their results. So I bleached my hair and tried again, with the same tub of purple for brown. The results… I could tell you or I could show you.
Yes, I tried to convince my husband to dye at least his beard purple. But since students at the school he teaches at can’t dye their hair, he can’t either. Unfortunately I don’t have a great before picture. But below is my natural hair color, how it looked when I bleached and toned it, plus how it looked with almost two inches of dark roots before I tried oVertone. It looks a little crazy because I’m growing it out.
oVertone Without Bleached Hair
Last time I tried overtone, it turned out like this. The picture on the bottom left is the day of. Remember that my original hair color is dark brown, you can see it in the above left photo. The other two photos below to the right are a few days and weeks later. It faded into a reddish then a pink. I did not use the conditioner when I first tried it and it faded within a few weeks. My hair did not return to the same brown it was before I dyed it.
oVertone is amazing because it’s healthy for your hair AND it comes in the craziest colors!
If you’ve gone to a salon to get your hair dyed then you know how much it costs… that’s why it’s so amazing that oVertone only costs $27! Plus you can get a sample size for just $13. You can get the tub of dye (lasts several uses) plus conditioner that helps keep the color vibrant for $47. They also have different shades of colors AND different colors can be mixed to achieve unique shades. I used extreme purple but would love to try pastel next.
Why do I love oVertone?
- It actually works! On any hair color. Seriously.
- They are honest – for every hair dye they will show you how it will look on a particular hair color. They do not exaggerate the color.
- Their customer support is on point. They actually care.
- First time shoppers get awesome discounts!
- They have SO MANY COLOR OPTIONS. There’s something for everyone. They don’t just do the crazy colors either, I have their black hair dye and it’s awesome.
- It makes my hair feel amazing afterwards – it smells good too!
- It’s vegan and cruelty free.
What I don’t love about it?
- They call it “conditioner” but it leaves a pigment in your hair. I went to get my hair dyed gray and the hair dresses did a test bleach. It was months after I used oVertone but the pigment effected it a lot. I don’t expect hair dye that works so well to be perfectly healthy or natural, but I don’t like that they refer to it as conditioner when it is in fact a dye that effects your hair permanently. Still better than other dyes though!
oVertone is amazing and you should totally try it if you want to change things up. If you change your hair a lot, I do recommend consulting with a hair dresser first. Since the pigment does stay in your hair, you should consider if you’re going to be bleaching or dying it in the future. Many hairdressers love oVertone but they do warn that it can interfere with other treatments. Other than that, it is amazing and I will not stop raving about it. I can’t wait to try more colors now that I’m brave enough to bleach my hair.