With all that’s going on in the world today, taking a breather is an excellent way to refresh. The pandemic has put the entire world and travel to a halt that most travel bugs are itching to go to their next destination. While planes provide optimum comfort for travel, this entails more interaction as you have to go through checkpoints, ticketing counters, and security. Then you have to endure the hour-long ride in a tight space with all the other people worldwide. Overall, taking plane rides during the COVID-19 pandemic poses a safety risk to the traveler. But all is not lost. Road trips are a fun and enjoyable alternative if you still want to see and explore during this time. However, you must adhere to road trip safety precautions if you want to enjoy your trip. And in this article, we’ll let you in on the most important road trip hacks for a safe and comfortable drive.
This is a guest post by Eliza Brooks. See her bio at the end of the article!
1. Have your car checked
before you embark on the road trip, one of the most crucial road trip essentials is having your car checked. Consult the professionals and make sure to have them check your car for unforeseen damages and repairs. This will ensure that your main travel transportation won’t break down on you in the middle of nowhere. In fact, having your car checked doesn’t even assure that it won’t break down, but at least you’ll have peace of mind knowing you did your part.
Here are 11 things experts must check in your car before taking that long drive somewhere:
- Check fluid levels to ensure there is no leaking
- See if all your lights are working fine, especially if you’re driving in unfamiliar places
- Make sure that wipers work fine without blocking your vision when you turn them on
- Always check the car’s tire tread depth if it can survive the long drive. Then check for surface damages and inflections.
- Check if the brake pad’s inner part is still over 5mm thick
- Let experts check for any leaks underneath your car
- Check if your drive belts have cracks or you’ll risk shutting down your engine anytime
- Always ensure that you have a spare wheel in your car and check for damages
- Check if the steering is aligned to ensure proper maneuvering
- Ensure you check the breaks and clutch for safety
- If you’re driving with a vehicle tracking device, make sure the device works properly
2. Always be prepared
One of the most important road trip hacks that you must never miss is to always be prepared before embarking on your journey. You must never hit the road without the essential things. Here is the list of the things you must bring during your road trip:
- Have ample sleep the night before
- A lot of water
- Bring food and snacks for the entire crew
- Proper clothes for the stormy weather
- Blankets and pillows
- First-aid kit
- Proper all-round and car tools
- Maps and travel brochures
- Flares and jumper cables in case of emergencies
- Power banks
- Contact numbers of organizations like tow truck companies, doctors, etc.
- Enough cash
3. Plan your stops
On top of the road trip hacks Covid-related precautions, you also have to plan all your stops. Driving for long hours can take its toll on your body. And this can impact your safety. Therefore, it’s vital that you take necessary rest by stopping and stretching every once in a while. However, don’t delay your trip by taking too many stops. Plan all your stops and make sure you know where to stop with gas stations, fast food chains, and even mini grocery stores.
4. Always be alert
Driving for long hours can also cause fatigue, which will impact your alertness. Always make sure that you practice road trip safety at all times by staying alert when on the road.
If you can, ask someone to alternate sitting behind the wheel, just to give you time to rest. Also, check Google maps for any roadblocks so you can map out your route before you start driving. Furthermore, keep your eye out for road hazards and reckless drivers.
5. Prepare a playlist
To make the drive comfortable, don’t forget to prepare a playlist before you start driving. The advantage of having a playlist prepared is that you no longer have to constantly choose your favorite songs. This will avoid any distractions that might result to road accidents.
Also listening to your favorite tunes will keep you and your companions entertained. This will make for a comfortable and enjoyable road trip.
Road trips are fun and it’s a nice journey to get away for a couple of days to liven up your spirits. And by doing these road trip tips, you can ensure safe and exciting travel for everyone onboard.
Eliza Brooks is a passionate blogger and frequent traveler who writes about home improvement, travel, and the latest trends in emerging technologies. She is currently working with EyeSpySupply, the leading spy shop, which offers a wide range of surveillance equipment.
Follow The Travel Bug Bite for more great content including guest posts by diverse voices.